Sunday, October 9, 2016

Driving in India

Driving in India is an interesting experience. There are a lot of rules, some of which are easier to discern than others.  Here are a few that we were able to discern.

Drive on the left side of the road.
Unless you need to go the other way because of a median.
Or if it is just more convenient to travel on the right side of the road. Then it is okay.

Park in designated areas.
Unless you need to park somewhere else, even in a lane of traffic.  Then it is okay.

Turn right from the right hand lane.  Turn left from the left hand lane.  Use center lanes to continue straight.
Turn right from any lane.  Turn left from any lane.  Continue straight from any lane. 

Stay in designated traffic lanes.
Unless you are on a motorcycle.
Or driving a taxi.
Or driving a truck.
Or any other vehicle.
In fact, if you need them, use the lanes from the other side of the road, whether or not there is median. (See above) Does anyone know why the government pays for those lines? It is a waste of space and money.

Find a place to pull off the road if you need to stop.
Pull to the side of the road if you need to stop.
If you really need to stop, just do it where you are. Traffic will go around you.  This includes stopping in intersections or the fast lane on the highway.

Use appropriate transport for your party. See below for optimal vehicle size:
Motorcycle/scooter: 1-3 adults and 1-3 children.
Auto: 1-12 people, use laps, external grips and even the roof if necessary.
Car: 1-8 people. No seatbelts required.
Tour bus: depends on size, one foreigner per seat.
City bus: 1.5-2 Indians per seat and 2 per hand loop. Seating on the roof of the bus may also be used.

Cargo should also use correct vehicles. Size suggestions below:
Bicycle: may carry as much as physically possible without tipping.
Motorcycle: with two riders, boxes up to and including 50 inch flat screen TVs may be carried. Depth of box limited to around 18 inches.
Bicycle rickshaw: no practical limits besides weight.  Metal pipes up to 15 feet, bales of hay, 10 ft high bales of flattened cardboard are all valid cargos.
Larger loads should usually be taken to a point where bicycle rickshaws can make the final delivery.

Use the horn as appropriate when driving. Below is a sample of translated messages sent with a horn.
Beep: Be aware that I am here
Beep: Move faster
Beep: Don't stop
Beep: Stop
Beep: I am merging into your lane
Beep: I want to get into your lane
Beep: I am driving here
Beep: I want to drive there
Beep: I am overtaking you on the right
Beep: I am overtaking you on the left
Beep: I am merging into your space so you better move
Beep: I am forcing my way between you and this other vehicle
Beep: You are driving down the wrong side of the road
Beep: I am driving down the wrong side of the road
Beep: But it is more convenient for me this way so deal with it
Beep: I am turning right
Beep: I am turning left
Beep: I am performing an illegal u-turn
Beep: I am turning left/right from the fifth lane over on the opposite side of the road (on a two lane road)
Beep: I am bigger than you
Beep: I am smaller than you
Beep: I missed my turn so I'm backing up
Beep: I'm doing what the back of your truck tells me to
Horn length and multiple bursts can be used to emphasize any of the above messages.

Update: I thought of a few more.

Always keep an appropriate distance from other vehicles.
Minimum suggested distance for following: 6 inches
Minimum suggested side clearance when passing: 2 inches
Minimum suggested clearance when stopped: 1 inch

Our driver put it best when he said "In India, everything is negotiable."

3 comments:

  1. Did you ever have to drive? I would be very afraid to drive there I think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 😂😂😂😂 Well you will not be able to complain about bad drivers when you come back. Have you employed the keep your eyes closed for the ride tactic? I think I would do that the WHOLE time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dad and I laughed the whole way through this post and said, "So true!" as we completed it. It is amazing there aren't more accidents here and no, we have never wanted to drive here. When the traffic jam is really bad (like around Diwali, their biggest festival) then motorcycles/scooters and even auto rickshaws sometimes jump up onto sidewalks. It is crazy!

    ReplyDelete