5:00 a..m. That was the time on my clock this morning when Megan burst into our room, said, "Mommy!" and left. I figured I needed to see what was going on and, if possible, have her sleep for a bit longer. As I got out of bed, I noticed Matthew sleeping on our floor near the foot of our bed. He'd probably collapsed there sometime earlier and we just hadn't heard him. At the same time, U got up and started walking towards the door. Not wanting U to accidentally step on Matthew, I knelt over Matthew like a protective cocoon. (U told me later he was really confused by this--why did I get out of bed and then immediately kneel down at the foot of the bed in some sort of weird position. It made much more sense once he realized Matthew was involved.)
U left the room and went to help Megan. I picked up Matthew and put him in our bed so he could sleep longer. Then I went to help with Megan, too. She laid back down for a few minutes, but was basically back and forth between our room and hers for the next half hour. So no more resting for me. However, Matthew continued to sleep. I was pretty excited about that since he's often up by 5 and sometimes up even earlier. (Usually he's up by 4:40 at least once per week.)
At 5:33, the garage door went up. I hurried downstairs to find out why U was leaving so early. Did he think it was Monday and wanted to get to work a little early? Did he have things he needed to do at the church before his 6:30 meetings?
And then it dawned on me. Today is the last Sunday in October. Which is when Daylight Savings used to end. And our clock is still on the old time changes. And we can't turn that off. Which we would clearly do because not only is it wrong about when the time change occurs, but we don't even do Daylight Savings here. By the time I got to U's car, all I said was, "Is it 6:30?" To which he responded, "Yes. And I'm late for my meetings." I then explained my confusion and said bye.
Things took on a whole new light with this knowledge of the actual time. Megan didn't get up until 6! Granted, that's still early--I'd love it if she slept in until 6:30 or 7. However, since her average wake up time is around 5:30, 6 is doing pretty well. And Matthew slept in until 6:45. WOW! I honestly don't remember the last time he slept in that late. It almost is enough to make me giddy:)
I guess maybe it's time for a new clock....
That's a great memory/story! And yes, I'd agree that a new clock is in order!
ReplyDelete