Tuesday, May 10, 2016

Preschool: How to Make an Apple Pie and See the World

The last two weeks, we studied How to Make an Apple Pie and See the World. It's a cute book about what happens when one wants to make an apple pie but finds that the market is closed. What does one do? Why travel the world to get the ingredients. We visited Italy (semolina wheat), France (hen for an egg), Sri Lanka (cinnamon), England (cow for milk to make butter), ocean (salt), Jamaica (sugar) and Vermont (apples). We had fun looking at pictures from all these different locations and moving our story disk each day to the next place travelled. We talked about the humor in the story (who would go all over the world to make an apple pie?!?!? Many of the pictures were quite humorous as well). We also noticed that when the girl ate the pie at the end of the story, a child from each location except England was there eating with her. We learned about apples and made applesauce. We looked at the various forms of transportation taken (she used something different to get to each place) and made our own cardboard box airplane. We took saltwater and evaporated the water to see what was left behind. And of course we made an apple pie! It was a busy, fun couple of weeks!

Doing an apple taste test.

Megan and Matthew cut all the apples to make applesauce.

Cardboard box airplane.

The control panel.

The cargo.

Side view of the finished plane. We've gotten a lot of good play out of this.

With the container of saltwater.

After three days, all the water had evaporated and this is what was left.

Look at all that salt!

Our apple pie.
I'd checked the recipe we were using for the pie and thought that it included all the ingredients that were used in the book. However, I was wrong: there was no egg. I figured I would gloss over this and it wouldn't be a big deal. Well, I thought wrong! Matthew was insistent that there must be an egg in our pie. He got the eggs out of the fridge and was going to crack one in the topping. We finally convinced him not to, but he was not happy that there was no egg in our recipe!

Delicious!

Yum!

2 comments:

  1. You are all so fun and creative.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When you first mentioned a cardboard box airplane, I imagined one that they could hold in one hand and fly around the room--not one big enough to get in! I wonder if they used a beaten egg brush on their crust to brown it? Just a thought. What a fun learning experience!

    ReplyDelete