Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Egg Challenge

Matthew has his egg challenge today and he passed! Yeah! This means he can now eat egg. 

The food challenges are very long and I'm pretty sure Matthew thought they were trying to starve him. We had to be at the doctor by 8 am and he was to not have eaten breakfast. So he was hungry. They finally started giving egg around 9, but it was such a little amount I doubt it did much for him. (It was 2 grams of egg--they weighed his food each time. Seriously, it was like a crumb of egg.) Every 20-30 minutes, they would come in, check his vitals and give him more egg. The amount roughly doubled each time, which means it was quite awhile until he got a normal bite of egg. After the fourth or fifth time, he had a really tough time. I think he was super hungry and wanted more food and was upset he kept getting these little bites. (He generally eats a big breakfast--1/3 cup oatmeal with raisins and fruit plus rice milk--and he would typically have a snack by this time. So the 40 grams of egg they'd given him really didn't cut it.)  Thankfully the next time, he had a few bites of egg and the time after that was more still. All told, he got the equivalent of one egg during the challenge, with 60% of that being in the last serving. Needlesstosay, he was still super hungry and when I could finally feed him a little after noon, he inhaled two fruit leather. He then ate the Cheerios and raisins I'd brought for him on the way home and then promptly fell asleep. His little belly was just glad to have something in it. He really was a little trooper. 

So we are glad Matthew passed. Now we just need to figure out how to cook eggs again!

2 comments:

  1. Yay, now the dairy!I am so glad you were able to bring him in yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good news! I bet he was starving!

    ReplyDelete