Saturday, August 24, 2013

Me, Ma, Me and My

Say:
  • "Me" as in the first syllable of "Megan."
  • "Ma" as in the first syllable of "Matthew."
  • "Me" as in "me."
  • "My" as in "my."
Now say them in toddler speak.

Now say them in toddler speak in a sentence with a bunch of other words.

Now you can hear my problem. These four words are used a lot around our house. And I usually think I know which one is being said. But, alas, I am often wrong.

Megan: "Where is {my} shoe?"
Me: "You are looking for your shoe?"
Megan: "No! {Ma} shoe."
Me: "Oh! Matthew's shoe."
Megan: "Yeah."

Matthew: "Rice milk makes {my} tummy hurt."
Me: "Rice milk makes your tummy hurt?"
Matthew: "No. Rice milk makes {Me} tummy hurt."
Me: "Rice milk makes Megan's tummy hurt?"
Matthew: "Yup!"

(As a side note, Matthew says that a lot of "special" things he gets to have--rice milk, almond yogurt, almond ice cream, etc--make Megan's tummy hurt. Must be his consolation for the fact that so many things make his tummy hurt.)

It's all good, though, and I sure do love hearing them talk more. And one day, these types of misunderstandings will all be a distant memory. And I will probably miss them. So I enjoy them. For the most part:)

2 comments:

  1. I always loved the language learning process. Unfortunately I didnt write things down. I love your blog because you share all these things with us but also because you are making a wonderful record.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's fun to hear how they speak--and to get a peak into their thoughts. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete