Sarah has a big report she is working on at school right now. Yesterday, when we got home from school, a friend ran up to her to see if she could play.
Sarah: I can't play today. I have to work on my report. (This was unprompted.)
G: What are you writing about?
S: I'm writing about Rosa Parks.
G: I love Rosa Parks!
S: Me too!
G: Did you know she went to jail? Her husband had to pay $14 to get her out. I could get out of jail!
...
They continued talking about Rosa Parks for several minutes. I'm sure that in 1955, Rosa Parks could not have imagined two white kids having a conversation like that on the street. Pretty cool.
Even in 1961-2 when I was in 2nd grade, we didn't study Rosa Parks. She is pretty recent history. I can't wait to read your report, Sarah.
ReplyDelete