Thursday, October 11, 2012
Tough Little Boy!
Today I took Matthew to get a RAST test done. This is the big blood test that checks for allergies to a whole bunch of foods that he had done in January. The allergist wanted to have him re-tested so that we can see how things are progressing. Because they are actually doing about 20 different tests, they need 2 big vials of blood. That's a lot from a little boy! Anyhow, the first phlebotomist found a vein and poked Matthew. And he didn't cry. Not even a peep! I don't watch the blood draw so after enough time had passed that I assumed we were close to having the first vial filled, she made a comment about how the vein had collapsed and so we weren't getting any blood. None. And it didn't look like we were going to from that vein. The second phlebotomist then checked out his veins and found one that she thought would work. (When doing blood draws on Matthew, there are four people involved: Matthew for the blood, me to hold him, one phlebotomist to do the draw and another to hold his arm still.) She poked him and this time the blood immediately started flowing. (Yes, I looked.) Hooray. Again, Matthew didn't cry. Not one bit. He made a few funny faces to let us know he wasn't completely happy with the situation, but that was it. Wow! What a tough boy!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
What a brave little boy, It makes me tear up just thinking about it.
ReplyDeleteHe's braver than I am! I hate giving blood and two vials! Way to go, Matthew!
ReplyDeleteGood for him!
ReplyDelete