Sunday, December 1, 2013

Thanksgiving Adventures

For Thanksgiving, all of us but U went to Las Vegas. (U couldn't go because he had to work over the weekend.) There was a bit of uncertainty whether or not we would go as my sister had been having some contractions. In the end, we decided to go because at least the cousins would get to play and visit. And they did.

The trip out was fairly uneventful, not counting the drama in the seat behind me. (Flying duplos? Check! Biting teeth? Check! Oh the joy of siblings...) 

Thursday morning, my sister informed me that the baby had given her eviction notice. We finished Thanksgiving preparations and at the same time I loaded up 6 kids and drove to Kiley's sister's home, Cheryl-Lynn and Kiley headed to the hospital. We enjoyed our dinner with Kiley's family. Most of my time was spent helping the three youngest kids eat. And they did a lot of that. Benjamin, who is 18 months, thinks that rolls, cuties and pumpkin pie constitute a good Thanksgiving feast. Megan and Matthew ate a bit more variety, although rolls were high on their lists of yummy food as well. Sarah, Luke and Andrew enjoyed playing with each other and with their other cousins. We then headed back home.

Of course, the most exciting news of the day was the birth of Elizabeth. She was born around 7 pm and weighed 6 lb 15 oz. How adorable!



I got to meet her and spend some time with my sister in the hospital the next day. I was happy to hold Elizabeth and visit with Cheryl-Lynn.


Friday night when Kiley and his boys headed to the hospital, my kids and I went to the Bellagio. In case you are wondering, that is a VERY busy time to visit and you may drive around waiting for others to leave so you can park. We did enjoy watching the fountains and looking at the gardens. And I'm happy to report that we came home with as many shoes as we left with (yes, it was questionable if this would happen for a bit).

Waiting for the fountains.

Matthew was quite tired.

A few pictures the girls took of the shows we watched.



What huge pumpkins they grow here!

The four of us.

Notice Matthew's two shoes in the above picture? I'm super thankful we had this picture because a few minutes later when we discovered that one of his shoes was missing, we knew it hadn't been missing long and were able to limit the area of our search.

A couple other pictures of the gardens.



The next day, which they say was my birthday, started and ended with throw up. Happy birthday to me! Thankfully the only times Megan threw up were the beginning and end of the day and she acted normal the rest of the day. (We did limit what she could eat.) I was able to spend a few hours at the hospital with Cheryl-Lynn and Elizabeth. I also enjoyed receiving birthday wishes from those who were able to track me down. I think the biggest kudos goes to Jon, who first called our home and was confused why the "old lady" or "woman approaching middle age" wasn't at home and then talked to Kiley before finally getting ahold of me on my cell phone on the way to the hospital.

That evening, Cheryl-Lynn and Elizabeth came home. (We think they kept her the full forty-eight hours just to torture her. But they wouldn't release her early!!!) There were lots of kids who were excited to see and hold little Elizabeth. And thankfully, she put up with all the different kids holding her like a champ!






The whole family!

Matching jams! (Well, pretty close anyhow. They even both glow in the dark.)

We celebrated my birthday with birthday pie.
Note that I am 307! I think I look quite good for my age.

My two helpers and I managed to blow out the candles.

One of the best parts of the day? Snuggling this little one. Such a cutie!


Megan loved this Pooh blanket on her bed.

Sunday morning, we played Get Bit.




 Here's a picture of the seven kids, plus me since a couple of my kids were hanging close to me.

Sarah: a self portrait.

So my sister and I may not have gotten the visit we hoped for, but I got to meet Elizabeth. And it's pretty hard to resist this. 

Besides, U promised me I could go see my sister sometime all by myself for a makeup visit. Sans enfant! Which is pretty exciting.

1 comment:

  1. What a memorable Thanksgiving/Birthday visit/gift. And Elizabeth is adorable and so easy to snuggle!

    ReplyDelete