Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Baking

There's been a lot of baking going on around here. This morning, for instance, Megan and Matthew were baking a cake. For baby. Why? Either because it was her birthday or because she asked for it. Depending on who answered. And which time they answered.

Proud cooks

Once the cake was done, they took it over to the table, sang "Happy Birthday" and served it to everyone. You can't really see, but baby is sitting in the booster seat. Megan fed her lots of cake with that big spoon she has in her hand. And then she took baby upstairs for a nap--what a good little mom!


It's pretty normal to cook cake in the oven. Last week, what they were cooking wasn't quite so normal. 


I guess they must be trying to be like me. When I was two or three years old, I decided to bake bread, just like my mom. I stuck something like a Snugli in the broiler while my mom was baking bread. However, Snuglis don't bake like bread--there was lots of smoke and fire. My mom put out the fire and called the fire department. I remember sitting on the porch waiting for the firemen to come. I asked my mom where they were coming and she said to our home. I didn't want them to come to our home, though. I wanted them to go somewhere else. That's one of my earliest memories. And it is a situation I'd like to not repeat in my home. Even though Matthew would probably think it was really cool if the firemen came. So.....

Note to self: check the oven BEFORE turning it on!

1 comment:

  1. I remember that day! In our old gas oven, the broiler part was below the oven with a separate door so when you put in the head support from my Snugli-like baby carrier, I had no idea until the flames and smoke came pouring out! You were around 2 1/2 so that's a pretty early memory for you. And kids do love to mimic their parents.

    ReplyDelete